Strategic Direction #2
Advance Social Accountability
“As a medical school founded with a social accountability mandate, we must challenge ourselves to make a difference and lead the transformation of our health-system in Northern Ontario.”
Dr. Joseph LeBlanc
Associate Dean, Equity & Inclusion
To embed social accountability throughout NOSM with a focus on measurable, transformative, and sustainable change in health-care systems for Northern Ontario.
Social accountability defines NOSM. Through the value of social accountability, NOSM graduates, faculty, learners and staff lead health-system transformation in Northern Ontario.
Integrated, customised, evidence-based, holistic health-care service models for Northern Ontario
- Adopt evidence-based strategies in education, research, health care service delivery and advocacy for patients and communities.
- Advance relevant, high quality, cost-effective and equitable health-care system transformation at the federal, provincial and territorial levels.
- Be the crucible for solution focussed conversations that transform the Northern Ontario health-care systems.
- Lead the development of Northern Ontario centered policies that improve population-based health indicators.
Social Accountability in everything we do
- Align education programs with societal and community needs.
- Produce graduates who are leaders that transform health-care systems and improve population health outcomes.
- Address the Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and the Report of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls.
Recognition as a change agent for social accountability
- Lead advocacy and community engagement that is grounded in the community under a true co-creation model.
- Enhance and renew relationships, communications and community outreach.
- Renew the curriculum to embed socially accountable content, research into disease determinants, and advances in models of health-care delivery in Francophone, Indigenous, rural and remote areas.
- Develop a global health strategy founded in the principles of social accountability.